Now that I’m officially registered to start A230 (Reading and studying literature) in October I think it’s time to take a gander at my reading list. The books we’ve been asked to buy are:
1. Othello by William Shakespeare
2. The Duchess of Malfi by J. Webster
3. Candide by Voltaire
4. The Lonely Londoners by S. Sevlon
5. The Emigrants by W.G. Sebald
6. Dubliners by James Joyce
7. The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
8. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
9. Dancing at Lughnasa by Brian Friel
10. Oroonoko by Aphra Behn
I now have all of these books on my “to read” shelf thanks to Amazon and Play.com (I refuse to pay full price for books that I need to annotate). My intention is to read all of these books before my course starts, so my self-imposed deadline is October 1st. I’ll keep you updated on my progress… I’m not entirely sure if I’ll make it through the lot, but I want to make a substantial start. I just remember moments last year when I was panicking about finishing my set book in time (I believe that was the accursed Hard Times).
Anyhow, wish me luck, I’m off to go and make a start!