It’s time for the next Quirky Crafts Challenge. This time we have to create something on the theme of boys, using ric-rac, buttons, ribbon and a sentiment. I’m not going to lie, I was dreading this one, if there are three things I NEVER use it’s ric-rac, buttons and ribbon. And I challenge you to find anything I’ve ever made that’s even remotely boyish!
I decided to just view this as a way to stretch my creativity… and here is what I did:
1. Stuck items with different textures to a piece of thick card. Used very strong glue and left to dry for an hour or so just to be on the safe side.
2. Covered the whole piece in a couple of coats of gesso. Allowed to dry over night.
3. Added lime green and white acrylic (in an attempt to avoid ‘girly’ colours).
4. Added some collage elements, blue tissue paper and then white tissue paper with a quote written on in sharpie (“A new baby is like the beginning of all things – wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” – Eda J. Le Shan).
5. Final touches: stuck on a few aeroplanes I’d cut from stamped paper using a Cutting Cafe digital stamp as a template. I also added a border and few other doodles across the piece with a black pen, a white pen and a lime green brush marker.
Although I really wasn’t excited by the challenge at the start, I really love how this turned out. I definitely enjoyed experimenting outside of my comfort zone… check out this post to see what the rest of the Design Team/Guest Designers came up with, and I hope you’ll consider entering!