Cookery books. Memoirs. Text books. True crime. Investigative journalism. Biographies. Manuals. Reference books. Travel guides. Magazine articles. Book reviews. Self-help books. Atlases. Encyclopaedia. Blog posts. What do all these things have in common?
They are all forms of non-fiction.
Now, as you’ll all know by now, I love reading. But as you’ll also have noticed, I read almost exclusively novels, despite having many many works of non-fiction on my bookshelves. It seems from my twitter/blogging chats that a lot of you are in the same boat – we want to read all of the factual stuff that fascinates it, but just never get round to it.
So what I’m proposing is this, a month-long ‘ode to non-fiction’. There are a number of ways you can take part, depending on how much time you want to dedicate to it. You could contribute a post or two to the event, you could try to read few extra pieces of non-fiction over the course of the month, or maybe just join in our #nonficnovember Twitter chats. It’s completely up to you.
If you like the idea of writing a Non Fic November post then fill in the form below so that I can keep you in the loop. It will also help me create a schedule of posts, so that I can direct readers to all your great writing (and of course come and check them out myself!). You can sign up until October 21st. Feel free to grab this button if you’d like to join in:
Stuck for ideas? Here are a few suggestions of things you could do…
- Review a piece of non-fiction
- Compare a fictional and non-fictional account of a time/person/place/event
- Convince us why we should try out your fave kind of non-fiction
- Tell us why you hate non-fiction
- Top 10 cook books, autobiographies, articles, manuals
- Direct us to some of your own non-fictional blog posts (or those written by your blogging friends)
- Talk about your favourite films based on non-fiction
- Describe your favourite non-fictional TV shows
If you want to decide on your topic at a later date that’s fine, just let me know that you want to take part. If you could also let me know possible dates that you’d like to post that would be a big help.
Can’t wait to hear from you!